Sunday, August 17, 2008

Adding Comfort and a Bit of Style

I realize it's been quite some time since I've updated this site. Don't put it down to losing interest in the car. I still enjoy driving the smart, and I'm still inundated with questions - from the silly and rude to the polite and curious. I'll start to use my time to update this more often.

I thought I'd take this opportunity to write about some recent additions I made to the car. The first is the installation of an armrest from Armrest Accessories. For $109 (US), you would expect something a bit more sturdy, but then I've read other armrests cost more than twice as much. The armrest itself was fairly flimsy plastic, but it sits nicely over the emergency break, it lifts up for easier access to the brake and seatbelt connections, and it does offer a small amount of storage inside. It's also extremely softly padded for extra comfort.



Installing the armrest took over an hour because of the hassle of taking out the passenger seat. The track sits directly along the center piece that the armrest screws into, and there would be no way to install it with the passenger seat there. Fortunately, four bolts removed the track, and we were able to just pull it forward rather than removing the wires (for air bag sensor and subwoofer). Then it was just a matter of putting in a few screws.

It felt flimsy from the driver's seat until the passenger seat was back in. Both seats press against it, solidifying it nicely, and while it's a bit further back than I would like, but putting it up further wouldn't allow the driver's seat to go back as far. It's surprisingly soft, and I can already tell I'll enjoy it. A bit flimsy and over-priced, but for the extra comfort in the long run, I'm satisfied.

A few months ago, I ordered some smart shoulder pads off eBay. Smart USA offers the shoulder pads with a different logo/emblem, but these pads - likely knock-offs from a user in Hong Kong (and forgive the lack of link - check the Smart Car of America forums if interested) - were cheap (just over $20 with shipping) and most resembled the other logos on the car.



The pads are soft and comfortable, if a bit warm in the summertime. As I walked up to the car in a parking lot where people were looking in, I've heard several people mention the seat belt pads. And for the price, you can't beat them. They don't serve a lot of purpose, besides a bit more comfort and style, but they add another unique touch to the car.

More posts to come, including my three-month, 3200-mile report!

No comments: