Saturday, July 12, 2008

How Much Does it Cost?

moneyYou would think the most common question I get when driving my smart is what kind of gas mileage it gets. That's close, but the most common question I get is "how much does it cost?"

Let me just start by getting the numbers out of the way. The 2008 models start at $11,590 for the Pure (basic model), $13,590 for the Passion (the model I have), and $16,590 for the Passion Cabriolet (the convertible). Obviously, any dealer extras and option packages will increase the price from there, but that's the sticker, and that's what you will pay when you buy your car. There is no haggling, and the dealers do not work on commission.

I don't mind telling people how much my car costs, really. I shouldn't, because the numbers aren't a secret. Anyone can go online and track down the price of the car - or any other car, for that matter. But somehow, it feels incredibly invasive to ask me how much I spent on the car. Maybe it's my upbringing, but asking someone how much they paid for a large purchase - whether an iPhone, a computer, a car, or a house - feels rude.

Today, I was filling up my tank at the gas station (40.8 mpg on this most recent tank, which was atypically 70% city driving and used the air conditioner). Cars were stopped on the street going by, and one person rolled down his window and shouted across the gas station parking lot "How much did you pay?" I sighed and shouted back "About 12," and he just shut his window. That was beyond rude!

My smartI don't mind answering questions about the car; in fact, I enjoy it. Most people will start with "what kind of mileage do you get?" or the simpler "what is it?" Often, you get "is it electric?" first. But, invariably, you get the question about price. My response is to be as vague as I can. I typically say "They start at about $12 for the base model, and this is the middle model." That way, I'm giving them enough info, but I'm avoiding saying how much I, in particular, spent.

I wonder, though, why people need to know how much the car costs. If they're thinking of getting one, that's fine. I'd like to tell them they'd have to put their order in now, and there's a year waiting list. If they're making comparisons to their car or other gas-conscious cars, that's ok too. I like to point out that the smart gets only marginally worse mileage than a Toyota Prius, which starts at $21,500 for essentially a full $10,000 difference.

But I don't think they ask for those reasons. I think they ask because the car is small, and they think a small car should cost less. They see it as a stripped-down vehicle, so stripped down it's lacking a back seat and hood or trunk. It's really not, and I'd be happy to tell them about it's surprisingly roomy interior, its safety and comfort extras, its standard features. But I see it in their eyes - they're comparing their gas-guzzler to my brand new sipper, and they're trying to make themselves feel better when spending $25 or more beyond what I spend at the pump.

Maybe I just don't give people enough credit. But I've never, in my entire life, heard anyone ask anyone else how much they spent for their car. When a co-worker bought a new Toyota FJ Cruiser, we ooo'd and ahhh'd over it, but no one asked the price. When a neighbor brought home a Prius, people talked about mileage for an hour, but the cost never came up. When another neighbor upgraded both his and his wife's Volkswagens, I wasn't remotely curious to know how much of a loan he took out.

I think, perhaps, this is linked to the mileage effect. Folks want to feel better about their own situation when other people are bettering their own. I guess that's human nature. But it's still rude to shout at me across multiple cars and gas pumps and ask me how much I spent on my car. Or, if you're going to ask, at least inquire about mileage or safety first. I'd be more than happy to share the details.

No comments: