Friday, July 11, 2008

No Respect

Road RageToday, on the day to work, I was driving in the left lane of the highway where it turns rather dramatically to the right and then to the left. You have to slow down in this section, but I was still driving a hair over 55 and passing a car. But another driver in a gray Toyota Celica (I think) with a ridiculous spoiler was tailgating me and glaring at me. The road straightened out, and I finished passing the other car, then changed lanes. As he passed by me at a minimum of 75, this guy in business attire and sunglasses (despite a steady drizzle and thick gray clouds) gave me the finger without looking in my direction. Ten or so miles later, I get off the highway at my exit and head down the road to work. Turns out, the guy is four cars ahead of me. I hope it was worth it.

It made me think about how folks don't give the smart much respect on the road. Sure, it's an oddity and something unique to watch. But most folks don't think it can hit highway speeds, much less pass cars. Folks, the smart drives wonderfully at 65 or 75. It's fun to see a look of surprise, at times, on the faces of drivers as I pass them.

I'm sure it's small car syndrome. People didn't tailgate me aggressively when I drove my SUV, because it's big and imposing. The smart is small, so they feel they can overpower it.

However, there's another problem on the road - the need to gawk as they drive by. I don't mind if a car slows down as it passes me to get a good look. But when I'm stopped at a red light and cars turn from a side street toward me, I've seen several come close to drifting into my lane or each other as they gawk at the car. I'm not remotely afraid to drive my car on the road, but I do worry about these people who clearly aren't paying attention!

Road rage + curiosity is a bad equation, let me tell you!

No comments: